Saturday 2 August 2014

Rhubarb and Apple Crumble

Can a baking week get any better than this?!  It started last Friday and Saturday with Rhubarb muffins and then a fresh Summer Rhubarb and Strawberry Cake with Almond Buttercream... and then there was more!  Leftover rhubarb sitting in the fridge, just waiting for a day that wasn't filled with work and unpacking boxes... I couldn't wait to bake again with this rhubarb and so here it is - this week's bake:  Rhubarb and Apple Crumble, with a nice thick crumble and of course served with cream!
 
 
Now I searched my now unpacked recipe books for a crumble recipe either for apple or rhubarb, but I didn't quite find what I was looking for.  I knew that I wanted the fruit to be pre-cooked before baking the crumble - I love a super soft, apple sauce type bottom half to the crumble so searching the recipes for one with stewed fruit was the first challenge... Then, of course the crumble.  Ah crumble.  I didn't want to skimp on any of the crumble topping so I kind of made that one up as well, making sure that I had plenty to go around :-) 

So, in researching around 15 recipes, I kind of came up with my own based on all of these varying crumble recipes, and here it is!...

Ingredients:

800g stewed fruit - 3 large apples and a big handful of rhubarb stalks to equal 800g - the balance of which is your choice! 
100g granulated sugar
1 tbsp water

200g plain flour
80g ground almonds
170g unsalted butter, chilled and cut into chunks
100g golden caster sugar
Pinch of salt

Method:

1.  Peel, core and cut the apples into small chunks.  Cut the rhubarb into equal sized pieces.
2.  Place the fruit into a large pan, add the water and sugar and cook on a medium heat with the lid on - leaving it covered and simmering for around 15 minutes, until the fruit has begun to soften.
3.  After the fruit has stewed for around 15 minutes, remove the lid and leave on a very low heat, stirring occasionally until it thickens and the liquid disappears.
  4.  Once the fruit has thickened up, spoon into your chosen dishes (lightly greased).  I used a medium sized oval dish and also 2 ramekins - just to make sure there was a taste test for that very evening!
 
5.  Time for the crumble!  Preheat your oven to 350°F.
 
6.  Put the flour, ground almonds and chilled butter into a mixing bowl and using your fingertips, mix the butter into the flour until your mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.  I also use a pastry blender for this - it's my favourite tool for getting a great breadcrumb consistency!
7.  Add the sugar and using a fork, stir together until you have a crumbly mixture.
8.  Spoon the crumble on top of the stewed fruit already in the dishes.  Pat down gently to smooth the top but do not press it down. 
9.  Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden and bubbling.   
 
10.  Serve warm and enjoy with cream, or ice cream!
 
  


 
Now I recently acquired my sister's old and spare iphone (teehee!) so it's a great life of blackberry work phone, and iphone for camera and instagram!  It works especially for those, I need to you eat you now and don't want to get the camera out moments but I have now realised the quality isn't as good as the DSLR is of course - but it does the job and I'm excited to have it!  Thanks sis!
 

 
Did you see my sneak peek on Instagram?  Well my husband and I enjoyed our trial crumbles one evening as the perfect taste test and then we enjoyed the main crumble with friends on Friday night :-)  There was definitely enough crumble, and the rhubarb was just tart enough to complement the sweet apple and sweet buttery crumble for it to be a winner!  Will bake again!
 
I hope my 2 farm fresh rhubarb posts this week and last have inspired you to search out some fresh rhubarb from your garden, your neighbour's allotment or from the local farm market like I did ... it definitely wont be the last time I bake with rhubarb this Summer :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!! Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you :-)